Sunday, April 21, 2013

Remembering when....

In my first year at University, my best school friend invited me to a Tupperware party being held by a friend of hers.... I remember on the drive there, the two of us were joking about how grown up we were now (we had met in year four and are still close friends today), going to Tupperware parties and University.... anyway... This day we jumped in to the car and headed up a hill to the house where the party was being held. It was a winding road of course, and when we arrived and were invited inside, the party was being held on the balcony. I remember nothing more from that day, except the view. This was a part of the town that I had never really been to before, and I was amazed by how far along the coast you could see from up there. I remember standing on that balcony, staring out at the view, thinking that one day, I might like to live up on this very hill with a similar view to this... It was a far fetched dream, especially for a 1st year University student with a part time job that paid almost nothing!

At the end of my degree, I moved away from that town, to a much bigger city, and then I moved again to another state, and to be honest, I had forgotten all about that day until recently, when I stood on our balcony at the house, and took in our view. A view that is much better than what David and I had originally anticipated that it would be.



The view on a lovely sunny day before the house was built


The funny thing is, that we didn't buy our block of land because of that view. It was far more important for us to stay in the same suburb or close, and to have the space in our garden to keep chickens and grow vegetables. Our block ticked all those boxes, and was the only other one that did when our offer on another block of land was rejected.

In all the time that it has taken us to finally get started on building our home, there have been some very frustrating times for us along the way, and I think that the view ended up being something that really kept us going. If the process was becoming all too hard, and we were getting depressed and annoyed with the process, we would drive up to the block, stand about half the way up and look back.... and each and every time, all our worries would disappear. We would want to keep going. We were determined to build our house and live here in this beautiful suburb. I do hope that we will never tire of our view....



Up on the balcony at dusk.

I think it's funny how a little thought I had in my head so many years ago has seemed to become my reality. It was never a goal that I was looking to achieve or something that I was actually striving for, but it's a bit uncanny to think that something I had seemingly wanted that day, is so very similar to what we have ended up with years and years later.

Has anything like this ever happened to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment