Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Pole Palaver

Hello! It's been such a long time since I have blogged. As I expected, I am so very busy now that I am back at work, and the 4 days I have at home with the kids just go by soooo quickly! We are managing though.
 
There has been a LOT going on at the house, which I will update you on later, but today I wanted to share with you a little story about the house... 
 
The carpenter started working on the frame, and David happened to pop in, and noticed a post in the entrance way, that we weren't expecting to be there.
 
He called me over to come and have a look, and says that he has some ideas for how to fix it, so I dropped the kids at my MIL's as the building site is not suitable for them, and headed up there to have a look...
 
Here's a picture of the offending post... Honestly, who would want to look at that when they walk in the front door? Also, the door from the garage is behind the post, so we would have had to walk around it to get in around to the stairs, which are to the front of the post. Not practical when you might be holding a couple of shopping bags, or something!
 


I later joked that maybe they should have been putting such poles in more suitable rooms in the house, such as perhaps the bedroom, lol!


I was horrified to find this post here, and couldn't believe that no one had told us that there would be a post required here, because surely it didn't have to be there, and a beam could have been put in the ceiling instead or something, but no... Apparently there was absolutely no other option.

The pole had to stay.

I won't lie. I was very annoyed. At first, I couldn't see any solution. Of course, I'd not been having the best day, and so tears followed, and I think I said some unkind words about the architect!

I found a solution, though! I was very excited because usually my solutions are stupid and don't work - David usually just laughs them off and tells me that my idea is ridiculous, but this one was perfect. It gives us access from the garage to storage under the stairs and involves us adding in another door for us to access the house from the garage. The carpenter advised us that it was an easy little change to make, but it would need to be cleared with the builder first. Thankfully we are building with a small builder, who was very understanding and has agreed that we can make the changes. So our crises was averted! Phew!

So happy to have been able to dodge that one! The pole is still in full view at the moment, and hopefully work will be underway to disguise it soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment