Saturday, August 13, 2011

Very Vegie Bolognese



I needed to throw dinner together quickly this evening. It was a busy day out, and I arrived home at 4:30 by myself with my two littlies. I had nothing defrosted, and no plan for dinner.... I decided on bolognese.

This bolognese is packed full of vegetable goodness. Eight different vegetables in total, and you would never know.... I use only a small amount of good quality beef mince in this bolognese so the bulk of the dish really is vegetables.

You will need:

A splash of Olive oil
An onion
A clove of garlic
Some dried herbs
A teaspoon of beef stock powder
An assortment of vegetables. You can use whatever you have to hand. I have used Mushrooms, Carrot, Zucchini, Brocoli, Cauliflower, and a small cube of frozen spinach. In total, I use about 3 cups of vegies.
A 400g can of tomatoes
A tablespoon of tomato paste
200g of good quality beef mince
Salt and pepper to taste.


I chop all my vegies quite small and saute in some olive oil.





When the vegies have softened, I add the mince and stir to break up any lumps, until the mince
has browned.
Add the tomato paste and cook, stiring to coat everything, for a minute or two. At this stage you can add your dried herbs.
Pour in the can of tomatoes, then fill the empty can with water and add to the
saucepan with the teaspoon of beef stock powder and salt and pepper to taste.





Simmer uncovered until the sauce reduces.


Now, if it were just David and I eating this, we would eat this just as it is, but to hide the vegies from Madeleine I pop the bolognese into my food processor and blitz. The vegies become completely undetectable!



No comments:

Post a Comment