Saturday, June 11, 2011

Roasted Pumpkin Soup




I have heard about Roasted Pumpkin Soup but had never tried it myself, as I was happy with my usual Pumpkin soup recipe. Then, a few weeks ago, when we had a freezing cold day here in Adelaide, I thought I'd give it a try.... I have made it many times since, as it is so tasty. Here's my recipe....





Ingredients - 1 kilo of Jap pumpkin cut in to medium pieces (This is the weight after the skin and seeds have been removed)
1 onion cut in half (I leave the skin on the onion and remove at the end)
1 bulb of garlic
1 litre of chicken or vegetable stock


Place all vegies into a roasting tray and drizzle with a little olive oil to coat. Roast until everything is cooked. You want the pumpkin to have some nice colour...
When the vegies are done, I remove the skin from the onion and squeeze the garlic from its bulb (You can use as much or as little garlic as you want - roasting the garlic makes it really delicious - it's not as strong as raw garlic, so I use a whole bulb but you can adjust this to suit your own taste). I then place the roasting tray on my cooktop and add about half of stock to remove the caramelised goodness from the bottom of the roasting dish. Blend with the remaining stock, and then warm through.


This makes a beautiful, smooth soup. You could add a little carnation light and creamy if you wanted a creamy soup, but it is pretty creamy just as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment